Blog Archive

Remember Orange Julius?

I'm enjoying a homemade smoothie I made in the blender... ice cubes, strawberries, blackberries, bananas, vanilla yogurt, honey and milk. Very good. So I went online to find some recipes and came across a link to an authentic Orange Julius recipe. Does anyone remember the store in the malls? Are they still in business? I haven't seen one in decades! Here's the recipe reprinted:

Ingredients

  • 6 oz Fresh Squeezed orange juice or any orange juice will work.
  • 6 oz Clear water
  • 3 oz simple syrup
  • 8 oz shaved or crushed ice
  • 1 teaspoon of powdered milk or instant vanilla pudding mix
  • Ok, years ago they sold me the powder. Now they don’t (idiots, think how much they would sell in the stores compared to the few shops in the US). The main ingredients of their "magic" powder are listed as (1) Whole Milk Solids (Powdered Milk) (2) Egg white solids, (3) sugar, (4) corn syrup solids, and flavor enhancers (I believe a touch of vanilla powder). A few years ago I bought either powder milk or instant vanilla pudding mix. One or the other gave the drink the exact flavor. The powdered milk I believe gives it the great texture and I think the egg white solids the foam.So now you have the correct amounts of OJ, water, simple syrup, ice. Experiment on the two powders and post. I am out of time today, but wanted to post this as I just found the recipe I got 40 years ago from the Orange Julius vendor. Many other recipes call for milk. When is the last time you saw an employee at a OJ pour in milk!

Directions
  1. Simple Syrup:
  2. INGREDIENTS:
  3. • 2 parts sugar
  4. • 1 part water
  5. PREPARATION:
  6. 1. Bring the water to a boil.
  7. 2. Dissolve the sugar into the boiling water.
  8. 3. Once the sugar is dissolved completely, remove the pan from the heat.
  9. 4. Allow to cool completely and bottle.
  10. Mix throughly. make 3 blenders! same recipe for Pineapple, grapefruit,lemon, lime,or chicken.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kudos for finding/posting this recipe & yes, Julius' can still be found - sharing space with DQ.

Roger D. Curry said...

Hmmm - Wow, this triggered memories, Doreen - the Orange Julius at the Middletown Mall, and how I met an old friend there and together we plotted a successful run for Sheriff. (Him, not me - the only thing I'm running for is County Line.) And I can taste the orange thing even now.

Always a pleasure to visit here, dearest Doreen.

R

Followers


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones