Blog Archive

Pancreatic Cancer.... And a Barbara Wa-Wa Interview with Patrick Swayze

My first night teaching this new semester is 6-10 PM, but I'm going to try to release students at 9:30 and dash home to watch the ABC special on TV tonight at 10.

My father died of pancreatic cancer in 2001. He had just turned 59 years old. That loss changed life for me in an instant. This post isn't about the horror of that experience, other than to simply speak out that this interview may shed some light on a form of cancer which typically takes life within a year. For my father, he declined so rapidly that it was 4 months from diagnosis to death.

My maternal grandmother died of pancreatic cancer when she was 54 years old.

There is a genetic link in pancreatic cancer. I have it on both sides of my family, pretty close in generations. Don't think I don't consider that I may have a shortened life span because of my family history and knowing the statistics...I am astutely aware.

Hard as life can be each day....oh God, it's so hard sometimes.... I etch the goodness from each day into my brain and make a memory of it. For I want to embrace whatever wonder in life is to be lived.

Anyway, watch it tonight. Discuss here.

0 comments:

Followers


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones