Blog Archive

Taking on a Technology Whore Attitude -- Going Cheap

Now Guess what? My daughter's computer blew this week... it's about 2 years old.. a Gateway. That was an $800 bad investment. This, of course, follows my fiasco of an unrecoverable computer crash of my own HP 2 weeks ago.


I absolutely REFUSE to succumb to the crowd mentality of high-tech geeks anymore, spending thousands on a piece of electronics only to have it fall it apart after warranty. I am going cheap. It seems technology and pricing continues to change fast anyway, and I'd rather have a throw-away laptop replaced every 2 years, than some bigass investment which ends up disappointing me.

I've done some research on "mini" NETBOOKs. Have you seen these things on display? They are cute and 2.5 pounds and have only limited functionality such as web access, Windows XP Platform and run basic MS Word Suite. At Dell's website, I ordered one built to go... basic price is $299 before any upgrades (I added a few)... there is no CD/DVD drive, but you can attach an external one. I like this option. I like it fits in a briefcase, or in the case of my daughter, her backpack. And the price is affordable.

Anyone have one of these? I'll keep you posted on the purchase and how it works out.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Inspiron Mini 9
Intel® Atom Processor® N270 (1.6GHz/533Mhz FSB/512K cache)

Processors
Intel® AtomTM Processor (1.6GHz, 512KB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)

Operating System
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition SP3
Ubuntu Linux version 8.04.1

Memory
Up to 1GB1 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM.
Chipset
Intel® 945PM / GS Express Chipset

Graphics
Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 950

LCD Display
Glossy 8.9 inch backlit LED display (1024X600)

Audio and Speakers
One external speaker

Hard Drives
Up to 16GB configured with a Solid State drive and Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition.
Up to 32GB configured with a Solid State drive and Ubuntu Linux.

Optical Drives
None

Ports
USB 2.0 (3)
Integrated 10/100 LAN (RJ45)
15-pin VGA video connector
Audio jacks (1-line out, 1 mic-in)
3-in-1 Media Card Reader
AC adapter connector

Power
4-cell 32WHr Li-Ion Battery

Camera
Optional 0.3MP or 1.3MP webcams

Wireless
Wi-Fi Options:
802.11g mini-card

Mobile Broadband Options:
AT&T built-in cellular mobile broadband (HSPA 7.2)

Bluetooth Options:
Bluetooth® Internal (2.0) mini-card
Ports, Slots, Chassis
Externally Accessible
USB 2.0 (3)
Integrated 10/100 LAN (RJ45)
15-pin VGA video connector
Audio jacks (1-line out, 1 Mic-in)
3-in-1 Media Card Reader
AC adapter connector

Dimensions & Weight
Width: 9.13" (232mm)
Height: 1.07" (27.2mm) front / 1.25" (31.7mm) back
Depth: 6.77" (172mm)
Weight: Starting weight of 2.28 lbs. (1.035 kg)4(8.9" display, 4 cell battery). Weights will vary depending on configurations and manufacturing variability.
Regulatory and Environmental Compliance
Regulatory Model: PP39S

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have one, but I would like to have one in addition to my regular laptop. I should have told you to check my blog, I have a link posted to a cheap Compaq for one of my sisters whose computer just pooped the bed. It's going around. Anyway, I wouldn't buy a Dell on a bet. They're more expensive than if you just buy the same computer from Compaq/HP. Plus, I do not like Intel processors.

mavis sidebottom said...

Over here if you take out a mobile phone contract for 18 months you get a free laptop.Aol give away laptops if you sign a contract with them for broadband if you are paying $50 a month for your mobile phone a free laptop makes the cost of the phone a lot more palatable

Roger D. Curry said...

Darling, what is all that specifications shit? I look & see:
1 - Got a color screen?
2 - Got a CD drive?
3 - Got a USB port?
4 - Wireless enabled?
5 - Cheap?
Then, I buy.
I do not confuse my mind with any technical data the units in which it's measured I cannot define.
R

Anonymous said...

Gawd day-ym, Alex! We don't get jack for signing a cell phone contract - except - a slightly cheaper phone.

Jilly said...

a ree laptop is a good dea if you're paying for a phone alex. i always take the free phone, as i don't care if the phone can do anything but make a phone call. i also only take the smallest package as i never use all of my minutes. i think the closest i ever came to actually using my minutes was when i was in CA and i talked to bert on the phone.

i alos don't care about bells and whistles when it comes to computers. i have simple needs and am not overly jealous/impressed when other people go for all the flashy stuff.

good luck with the mini pd doreen

jilly

mavis sidebottom said...

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/pay-monthly/free-gifts
theres a selection of what you get when you sign a deal for a mobile phone over here at the moment .

Followers


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones