Blog Archive

Doreen's Bucket List

I am so sick of it all--the responsibility in life,-I can't stand myself. I work all the time... how convenient to do so--a diversion from confronting the "me" I just don't feel like addressing lately in all my perception issues and concerns and worries about the "what ifs" in this crazy life. I need to listen to what my friends say... "Relax a little." So, after teaching tonight, I came home, opened up a fresh bottle of merlot and indulged in some creative writing... just for me.

I had a blast with this... the beginnings of my Bucket List. It's so not done. Here's what I got going so far....


Doreen’s Bucket List

1. Publish my dissertation in an academic journal

2. Rewrite my dissertation as a non-fiction book and publish

3. Become a tenured professor

4. Grow a tropical garden

5. Travel to Italy

6. Be touched by a hand that loves me as much as I love him

7. Learn to drive a stick shift

8. Ride on the back of a motorcycle

9. Raise seahorses

10. Successfully grow: a peach tree, avocado tree, gardenia bush or tree

11. Attend an outdoor concert on a romantic date.

12. Get stoned on weed in a safe place

13. To be loved, adored, number one, the only one, in the life of a beautiful man—if only briefly

14. Make more money in one year than I did in 2003

15. Really learn the guitar

16. Read the Bible

17. Learn how to slow dance with a man

18. Spend a few weeks or a summer on Martha’s Vineyard or another Cape-like inspired place for writing fiction.

19. Make love in the rain

20. Get dressed up and go to a ritzy country club sort of charity event/dinner.

21. Build out a complete room as my library – old fashioned wood shelves with sliding ladder, books cataloged.

22. Publish a novel with a major house.

23. Be a guest lecturer or speaker before a large crowd

24. Win a scholarship, grant or significant recognition for research or writing

25. Learn how to BBQ on a grill

26. Paint a mural on a wall

27. Decorate one room with abandon of cost in favor of everything I ever wanted

28. Own one of them player pianos

29. Create a family tree

30. See Joel Osteen in person

31. Become active in a church

32. Quit smoking

33. Play the guitar and sing in front of friends or small group

34. Meet or talk with Psychologist Robert J. Sternberg

35. Go Christmas caroling door-to-door

36. Go on a scary amusement park ride I ordinarily wouldn’t

37. Volunteer to counsel or help cancer or abuse victims

38. Be a foster home for lost dogs

39. Go to a writer’s retreat

40. Hear someone say that something I wrote made them cry

41. To own a Jacuzzi/hot tub again and create a serene surrounding

42. To own a really good stereo system in my house

43. To have a party at my home with a band again

44. To see a show on Broadway again

45. To spend a Thanksgiving volunteering at a soup kitchen

46. To party a night away

47. Receive delivered flowers from a man for at least once in my life

48. Be at Rockefeller Center when the Christmas tree is lighted

49. To ride in a horse and buggy under the stars

50. Crochet a bedspread

51. To see autumn up north and pick apples

52. Visit the Smithsonian Museum

53. Buy myself or receive an heirloom quality piece of jewelry

54. Buy an outfit that I feel beautiful in without cutting costs…fully accessorized…shoes and all

55. Hire a maid for a time

56. Go to the zoo by myself

57. Learn to shoot a gun

58. Play golf

59. Ride in a helicopter

60. Dress up like a cowgirl and go out

61. Ride in a hot air balloon (maybe)

62. Write a letter to everyone I love.

63. Get a tattoo (maybe)

64. Be tempted but choose what is right

65. Dress up sexy and play one of them table gambling games in Las Vegas, sipping something dangerous in a pretty glass

66. Surprise someone with something so good they cry

67. Buy a ton of Archie comic books to read while sipping a blue 7-11 Slurpee (like I used to when I was a kid), order pizza for dinner, staying in pajamas the whole day.

68. Visit Canada

69. Enter a wet tee shirt contest (Wait. That might be my merlot kicking in. That’s a maybe).


.....to be continued//

6 comments:

mavis sidebottom said...

its that time of the month again Doreen ;)

Brenda said...

I am truly impressed with the length of that bucket list.

doreenmary said...

Mavis...HOW DID YOU KNOW?

mavis sidebottom said...

like bloomin clockwork you are :D

Roger D. Curry said...

I've taught many persons to drive manual transmissions. My favorite was a former partner's daughter who then wrote some sort of college education dept. term paper on teaching manual skills using that as the basis.

Making love in the rain is not all it's cracked up to be. Your ass gets wet.

R

Anonymous said...

You don't know how to drive stick????

Followers


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones