Blog Archive

Be Kind. Simply That.

Maybe I've mentioned this next sentence in my blog in the past... I say it again not to be repetitive, but because it is something I upon which I often reflect:

"Be kind," Daddy told me, repeating it many times through my life, "Be kind because you don't know what people go home to."

We often take for granted that we know what we're dealing with in people with whom we work or socialize. We think we really know them... heck, we've been hanging with them for years. Yet we may not realize that sometimes the strongest of the strong are dealing with something personal that they haven't exposed or shared (e.g., a life crisis, memories that hurt, divorce, addiction, disease, relationship problems, mourning, financial issues, depression, etc.) It is more common than not in human behavior to keep things private, especially painful things, than blabber about them to everyone. You already know this: You're lucky if you have a best friend or partner with whom you trust to share your secrets, your feelings, your struggles--a person who supports and affirms you. Not everyone has this, or, even if they have a source for comfort, some people are just private and can't talk about things--EVER.

I heard the song, Only Kindness Matters on the radio tonight and got to thinking about its beautiful message. I love this line: "My hands are small I know, but they're not yours, they are my own...."

Everyone deals with their own stuff differently. Often the most competent strong folks are veiled... too proud to be weak. But make no mistake, there is a truth underneath it all-- a certian unspeakable humility, fear, love, pain, hope, despair. These truths are in all of us and connect us in spirit. The opportunity for love to emerge through kindness is everpresent.

I'm not saying you have to go to church, or become a volunteer (although that is very very good), just be kind. Remember we don't always know it all. Some things we will never know about the lives close to us and even those peripherally with whom we come into contact.

If you are suffering privately.... I send you love and peaceful wishes.





Hands
Jewel

If I could tell the world just one thing
it would be that we're all o.k.
And not to worry
cause worry is wasteful
And unless in times like these
I won't be made useless
I wont be idled with despair
I will gather myself around my faith
for light does the darkness most fear

My hands are small, I know,
but they're not yours they are my own
but they're not yours they are my own
and I am never broken

Poverty stole your golden shoes
but it didn't steel your laughter
And heartache came to visit me
but i knew it wasn't ever after

We'll fight, not out of spite
for someone must stand up for what's right
cause where there's a man who has no voice
there our's shall go singing

My hands are small, i know,
but they're not yours they are my own
but they're not yours they are my own
and I am never broken

In the end only kindness matters
In the end only kindness matters

I will get down on my knees and I will pray
I will get down on my knees and I will pray
I will get down on my knees and I will pray

My hands are small, I know,
but they're not yours they are my own
but they're not yours they are my own
and I am never broken

My hands are small, i know,
but they're not yours they are my own
but they're not yours they are my own
and I am never broken
We are never broken

We are God's eyes
God's hands
God's mind
We are God's eyes
God's hands
God's heart
We are God's eyes
God's hands
God's eyes
God's hands
God's hands

2 comments:

Roger D. Curry said...

Oh, so many years ago when I was more or less singing in an organized fashion, one of the tenors warmed up with the ditty, "Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck could be somebody's moo-ooo-ther."

Brenda said...

i love that song.

and you are right. we never know.

Followers


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones