Blog Archive

Composting.... Any Advice?

OK... Here's the thing...

The garbage man comes on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I don't have a garbage disposal (nor do I necessarily want one)... Let's say I make shrimp for dinner on Sunday. The tails of the shrimp go into the garbage can in the kitchen. That bag might not fill up for a day or two. Uh... stinky! And when I take to the outside garbage can (in the Florida heat)... yuck for 3 days? So what I usually do is (Does anyone remember the Anal Retentive Chef from Saturday Night Live from 20+ years ago on TV).... that's me... I double bag the smelly garbage (onion peels, fish leftovers, etc.) and deal with it.

A friend of mine just got into composting. All her scraps she takes to a bigass carbon-filtered container in her backyard. I WANT THAT! So I started researching...

And I'm not so sure I care so much about "gardening" and making soil from old food, but what I am interested in is maybe having a kitchen composter. From the ads, it's odor free, etc. and comes with bags that you can dump when you take out the garbage. So I'm considering a kitchen deal... maybe a big garden one later (might be too expensive).

Wondering if there' s wisdom out there? Anyone doing this?

Please post comments.

5 comments:

Brenda said...

i can't help. my garbage freezes in an hour outside and doesn't thaw out till june in some far away landfill.

in summer anything stinky gets dropped off at the recycle/dump yard. or i put it outside and the raccoon eats it.(that's a joke but unfortunately does happen on occasion)

Brenda said...

or only make shrimp on tuesday and friday nights. ;)

Jilly said...

you can't put meat in compost. egg shells, coffee ground, veg scraps, news paper is really it. also, you need some red worms to help it along on the break down process and you have to turn it every so often. Emma is big on composting if you want to ask her at theoldbroagrds.

http://theoldbroards.blogspot.com/

Catz said...

Glad makes scented garbage bags. I use them and they work just fine. My kitchen doesn't fill up fast and we have trash pick up only on Wednesday's.

Anonymous said...

You have trash pick-up twice a week? I hate you!

Followers


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones